Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, February 8, 2008

The Gringo Lifestyle

I thought I would post my first update from Antigua! I am here fostering Jessica and we are having a great time. Now I have been here for almost 1 week I can safely say I am far less anxious, already into a good routine (especially at bedtime) and enjoying being a mummy!

At the first part of the week I had Marco to help me get things in order. Now I have my good friend Sarah until Sunday. So from Monday Jessica and I go it alone!

Already she is eating great - she is not a fussy eater at all - and she loves my shepperds pie! She loves the bath and the pool and all the wonderful books we have been given to read. Mostly at this stage she likes to see if she can turn the pages and occassionally she is quite taken with the pictures!

Bedtime has so far been a huge success. She was not used to going to sleep awake - and putting herself to sleep. But now at 7.45pm (ish), after her nightime bottle, bedtime stories, and a quick chat about her day, I lay her in her crib and she happily lays there, sucking her thumb until she is able to fall asleep! This is the biggest acheivement I have made in ages (forget the recent promotion at work - this is HUGE!!). Of course the first night of trying this was hard - I had to literally pace the livingroom coaching myself into not picking her up! But as my sister Vanessa wisely said, it is a parents responsibility to get their baby into bed, but the baby has to learn to put themself to sleep.

I have signed up for Spanish lessons - and had my first 2 hour session. Jessica was great and we spent a lot of the lesson talking in Spanish (using our new words) about Jessica! She was most amused and had fun wiping her biscuit all over the desk!

On Monday I am meeting a couple of other mums at the pool who are also here fostering their babies. It will be the first time I meet them - so hopefully we can strike up a friendship to help us through this journey.

So there you have it - all in all a huge success!

As far as the adoption process is concerned, we are still out of PGN, and waiting for our CNA (central authority) number, like all the other parents in limbo. We hope this will soon resolve itself and we can get back into PGN and finalize the process ASAP. Please pray this will happen soon. As much as it is beautiful here, I can not wait to take our baby home.

Look out for the next post soon!
Lorraine y Jessica xxx

7 comments:

Nikki said...

OHH! So glad you and Jessica are doing very well down there in Guatemala! You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I also heard that the CA is moving now with registrations. I think God is really at work right now. I'm still on my knees praying and praying!

Sending hugs from the USA...

The Cook said...

I am hoping you guys got your registration number and are going back into PGN. You are in my prayers.

Nicole said...

It was so nice to meet you and Jessica! I'll be following your journey on your blog. Enjoy hanging out with the group in Antigua!

Susannah said...

hey lorraine,
i missed you on chat! It is so good to see you are doing great, I heard you were very encouraging to those at chat. Give miss jessica a hug from Georgia!
praying for you, my friend!
susannah
waiting for our mixco bc for Jenda

Dawn said...

Lorraine, I am crying as I look at your Christmas pictures and realize now you are with her always and never to give her back. You are still in my prayers and I think of you often.
Dawn C
Aaron & Lily's Mommy

Kelly said...

I am SO glad I found your blog. I have been thinking about you and Jessica SO much!! I am happy to see that things are going so well. I must say you have impressed me with the whole putting yourself to sleep thing. Joshua's been home for 4 mths and he still wakes up in the night. I keep telling my hubby that we need to be stronge and let him cry but, so far we haven't . You have now inspired me. THANKS!!! Have a GREAT time with your little princesa in her beautiful country. I absolutely LOVED our time spent in Antigua.
I will pray for both your registrations news and PGN. Have a TERRIFIC day.
God Bless,
Kelly
CCI

Katie Romero said...

Lorraine, I am so glad you made it there safely and that you are having fun being a mum finally to beautiful little Jessica May. We'll be thinking about/praying for you over these next days/weeks/months! Hope you have a quick resolution and can bring her home soon! Lots of love,
Katie, Michael & Claudia

3rd Visit Trip - December 2007

2nd Visit Trip - November 14-18

And finally we meet...

And finally we meet...
Thank you God


Our precious baby girl

Jessica at 4 months and 23 days old!

Jessica at 4 months and 23 days old!

Jessica - 1 Month Old

Jessica - 1 Month Old
Nite Nite our Angel
Powered by eSnips.com

The 21 Step Journey


Referral and Adoption Procedures
1. Our Dossier is sent to GUA for translation
2. Jessica is born (April 4th, 2007 - weighing 5lbs 8oz)
3. Birth certificate is issued
4. Jessica's BM signs over custody
5. Jessica has basic physical and first immunizations
6. Jessica's BM also sees a doctor and has blood tests
7. We receive Jessica's referral (actually this came early!)
8. We accept Jessica's referral (August 14th, 2007) and sign POA
9. Our POA is registered in Guatemala
10. The lawyer submits all docs to Family Court
11. The lawyer requests DNA testing be performed on the birth mother and Jessica
12. Family Court social worker reviews our dossier, interviews Jessica's BM & sees Jessica in foster care. Jessica's BM signs consent for adoption for second time
13. A third consent by Jessica's BM is signed
14. The lawyer then submits a petition for approval to PGN
15. Notary in PGN reviews all the docs
16. PGN issues its approval for the adoption to proceed
17. The lawyer meets Jessica's BM for the 4th sign-off (Protocolo)
18. The adoption decree is issued by the lawyer and Jessica is legally now our child!
19. A new birth certificate is then issued by the Civil Registry with the Jessica's original first and middle names unchanged, but with our names as parents
20. Lawyer takes new birth certificate and applies for a Guatemalan passport
21. All documents are translated into English by certified translators, as required by US INS regulations